If you are one of the many who made a resolution to start working out this year, here are some tips to help you stay on track.
1) Make your goal realistic. Don’t make your goal going to the gym 5 days a week at 5 am when you haven’t been to the gym in 12 months and you aren’t a morning person. Instead make your goal attainable. Go to the gym 2 times a week at a time that works for you.
2) Put your workout on your schedule. Block that time out.
3) Workout Partner. If you have trouble keeping your self accountable, work out with a partner. You have a better chance of not skipping a day because you don’t want to let your partner down.
4) Ease into your workout. Don’t go crazy on the first day of your workout that you are so sore you can’t move the next 3 days. This will just discourage you from continuing. Take it slow and move your intensity up gradually.
5) Get Support. Tell friends and family. Don’t keep your resolution a secret, they will be there to support and motivate you.
6) Reward yourself. If you stick to working out twice a week for a month treat yourself to something you enjoy.
7) Chart your progress. Keep a workout log. This will help you see your progress. Set short term goals because they are more achievable and will help keep you motivated.
8) Don’t beat yourself up. If you miss one workout it isn’t the end of the world. This won’t help you reach your goal. Just don’t let it turn into missing 2 or 3 in a row.
9) Stay on Task. It takes about 3 weeks for a new activity to become a habit and 6 months for it to become part of you. Success won’t happen overnight. Be patient and persistent.
Hopefully this will help next year so you won’t be making the same resolution.